A love for community is the heartbeat of Make + Do. Getting to know your neighbors feels like a lost art and gone are the days of going next door to borrow a cup of sugar. Here are some creative ways to get outside and meet the people living around you:
- Plan a potluck dinner for your street. Sharing a meal is one of my favorite ways to get to know people. Throw a simple invite in their mailbox with the details and ask everyone to bring a dish to share.
- Social media groups. These days, there’s a group for just about everything, including private neighborhood groups. Consider putting together an event as a way to get to know people. A book club, girls night out or game night are some ideas to get you started.
- Block party! This has a more casual feel to it and is a great way to include everyone. Bring your lawn chair and a cooler and the more people that gather, the more people you might attract.
- Bake some cookies. When my husband and I moved into our house, we baked cookies and brought them to our neighbors. It’s a lot easier walking up to a stranger’s home when you have something delicious to share.
- Adopt a dog. Okay...this one’s a stretch but having a dog makes it a lot easier to start conversations. A lot of people will tell you how cute your pup is, which makes a great ice breaker on walks through the neighborhood.